#1 Song Review: Week of 1/15 – 1/21 (NEWS v. Mr.Children v. DAOKO x Yonezu Kenshi)

Hello, Arama! Japan readers and welcome to this week’s installment of #1 Song Review! Last week saw RYUJI IMAICHI defeat SKE48 and Namie Amuro. This week, we have two newcomers facing off against a blast from the past. Find out what various staff members thought of the songs that topped the singles charts this week and share your thoughts on them too!

Oricon #1 / Billboard Hot 100 #1: NEWS – LPS (not released digitally or for streaming)

Ronald: This is pretty decent. It reminds me of a top 40 radio song from a few years ago. In writing this, it reminds me of one of LDH’s more subdued non-ballads. This is a nice step in the right direction for them. I just remember that horrible song they released last year when I think of this group. 6.5/10

_______

Oricon Digital Singles #1 / Billboard Download Songs #1: Mr.Children – here comes by love (not available physically / Billboard Hot 100 #2 / not available for streaming)

Listen here

Ronald: I feel like I’ve heard this before. It’s just the same old Mr.Children. It doesn’t grab me. There’s nothing here to excite me. It doesn’t build to anything. It’s just… nice. 5/10

_______

Billboard Streaming Songs #1: DAOKO x Yonezu Kenshi – Uchiage Hanabi (not in the Oricon top 100 / Billboard Hot 100 #13 / not in the Oricon Digital Singles top 10 / Billboard Download Songs #20)

Ronald: Same as before: This is basically a Yonezu Kenshi song featuring DAOKO. I have my problems with Kenshi, and they’re evident in this song. While listening to this, all I can think of is a rehash of a The Chainsmokers song. But I will say that DAOKO’s voice has improved. I listened to one of her albums a few years ago and I had to stop it a few songs in because her voice literally gave me a headache and made me want to vomit. I don’t have that issue now! However, I’m a bit lost as to what her point is. She was a rapper, and now she’s trying to be a popstar? I don’t get it… 5.5/10

_______

Ronald’s Rank:

1. Oricon #1 / Billboard Hot 100 #1: NEWS – LPS

2. Billboard Streaming Songs #1: DAOKO x Yonezu Kenshi – Uchiage Hanabi

3. Oricon Digital Singles #1 / Billboard Download Songs #1: Mr.Children – here comes by love

_______

Which one do you like the most?

Oricon #1 / Billboard Hot 100 #1: NEWS – LPS
Oricon Digital Singles #1 / Billboard Download Songs #1: Mr.Children – here comes by love
Billboard Streaming Songs #1: DAOKO x Yonezu Kenshi – Uchiage Hanabi

Created with PollMaker

Comments