#1 Song Review: Week of 5/28 – 6/3 (AKB48 v. Utada Hikaru v. Bodan Shonen Dan)

Hello, Arama! Japan readers and welcome to this week’s installment of #1 Song Review! Last week saw King & Prince defeat Yonezu Kenshi and Bodan Shonen Dan. Bodan Shonen Dan is back this week, facing off against two newcomers. Find out what Ronald thought of the songs that topped the singles charts this week and share your thoughts on them too!

Oricon #1 / Billboard Hot 100 #1: AKB48 – Teacher Teacher (not in the Oricon Digital Singles top 20 / Billboard Download Songs #23 / not in the Billboard Streaming Songs top 100)

Ronald: Is this Morning Musume or AKB48? Listening to this, it sounds like one of Morning Musume’s duller attempts at EDM. But that isn’t the main issue with this song. When I heard the title, I thought to myself, “Is this really going to be about what I think it’s about?” The answer was, “Yes, this is about a relationship between a student and a teacher.” My big question is “Why?” And then I found out that the center for this single is 16 years old! Why is an underage girl singing about a student / teacher relationship?! Why is this being normalized? Look at all the stories that have come out in the past few weeks about men and underage girls! This isn’t accepted by society, but Akimoto Yasushi is trying to make it acceptable. For years, fans have said that the perviness of these female idol groups was all in people’s heads, but WTF is this? This is blatant and utter garbage and I don’t see how such filth was even recorded. But then again, only the fanbase is checking for AKB48 at this point, as the other chart stats prove. 0/10

Oricon Digital Singles #1 / Billboard Download Songs #1: Utada Hikaru – Hatsukoi (not released physically / Billboard Hot 100 #2 / not available for streaming)

Ronald: I have been hard on Utada Hikaru since her comeback, but not this time. This is like a new version of “Prisoner of Love” for me. There’s an emotional warmth and tenderness to her voice here that I enjoy. The string arrangement here just heightens that emotional pull to create something that makes me want to listen again, which hasn’t been the case with a lot of her material since her comeback. Also, good job Sony for unlocking her official YouTube channel, along with a few others recently. Now do the rest! 8/10

Billboard Streaming Songs #1: Bodan Shonen Dan – FAKE LOVE (not released physically / Billboard Hot 100 #10 / not in the Oricon Digital Singles top 20 / Billboard Download Songs #40)

Ronald: Same review as before: I really don’t get the hype over this group or this song. It’s too American Top 40 for me. If I wanted that, I’d listen to the radio here. The track itself is decent, and would be better if someone else was singing / rapping over it. I find the rapping here to be quite awkward sounding. The vocals at time are n the whiny side, but somewhat lacking in emotion, as if it’s all for show and not really meant. 4/10

Ronald’s Rank:

1. Oricon Digital Singles #1 / Billboard Download Songs #1: Utada Hikaru – Hatsukoi

2. Billboard Streaming Songs #1: Bodan Shonen Dan – FAKE LOVE

3. Oricon #1 / Billboard Hot 100 #1: AKB48 – Teacher Teacher

Which one do you like the most?

Oricon #1 / Billboard Hot 100 #1: AKB48 – Teacher Teacher
Oricon Digital Singles #1 / Billboard Download Songs #1: Utada Hikaru – Hatsukoi
Billboard Streaming Songs #1: Bodan Shonen Dan – FAKE LOVE

Comments