#1 Song Review: Week of 10/16 – 10/22 (TWICE v. DAOKO x Yonezu Kenshi v. Aimer)

Hello, Arama! Japan readers and welcome to this week’s installment of #1 Song Review! Last week saw Aimer defeat Nogizaka46 and DAOKO x Yonezu Kenshi. Aimer and DAOKO x Yonezu Kenshi are back again this week, facing off against a newcomer. Find out what various staff members thought of the songs that topped the singles charts this week and share your thoughts on them too!

Oricon #1 / Billboard Hot 100 #1: TWICE – One More Time (Streaming Songs #3 / Download Songs #8)

Ronald: It’s like a more listenable version of one of AKB48’s cute songs, but less cute. But then also cuter than most of the stuff E-girls does. Strikingly juvenile. Parts of this song strangely remind me of a high school pep rally. I actually like “TT” because it sounds like a freestyle song almost, but the rest of what I’ve heard from them has been quite lacking. Easily digestable and not at all memorable. 4/10

Streaming Songs #1: DAOKO x Yonezu Kenshi – Uchiage Hanabi (Oricon #69 / Billboard Hot 100 #5 / Download Songs #9)

Ronald: Same as before: This is basiacally a Yonezu Kenshi song featuring DAOKO. I have my problems with Kenshi, and they’re evident in this song. While listening to this, all I can think of is a rehash of a The Chainsmokers song. But I will say that DAOKO’s voice has improved. I listened to one of her albums a few years ago and I had to stop it a few songs in because her voice literally gave me a headache and made me want to vomit. I don’t have that issue now! However, I’m a bit lost as to what her point is. She was a rapper, and now she’s trying to be a popstar? I don’t get it… 5.5/10

Download Songs #1: Aimer – Hana to Uta (Oricon #9 / Billboard Hot 100 #7 / Streaming Songs #8)

Ronald: Same review as before: This is really dramatic! Aimer has an interesting voice. It’s strong, yet ethereal. The tone and the way her voice quivers is quite unique. The actual track complements Aimer’s vocals well due to it also being strong and ethereal. 7.5/10

Ronald’s Rank:

1. Download Songs #1: Aimer – Hana to Uta

2. Streaming Songs #1: DAOKO x Yonezu Kenshi – Uchiage Hanabi

3. Oricon #1 / Billboard Hot 100 #1: TWICE – One More Time

Which one do you like the most?

Oricon #1 / Billboard Hot 100 #1: TWICE – One More Time
Streaming Songs #1: DAOKO x Yonezu Kenshi – Uchiage Hanabi
Download Songs #1: Aimer – Hana to Uta

over here

Comments