The official Twitter account for the live-action film adaptation of Hideaki Sorachi’s Gintama manga announced its third round of cast members on Monday: KinKi Kids’ Tsuyoshi Domoto, Hirofumi Arai, Jiro Sato, model Nanao, Ken Yasuda and Akari Hayami.
Yuuichi Fukuda, known for his work with the live-action HK/Hentai Kamen and Mr. Nietzsche in the Convenience Store, is writing and directing the film.
The new cast includes:
- Hirofumi Arai as Nizo Okadau
- Jiro Sato as Henpeita Takechi
- Nanao as Matako Kijima
- Ken Yasuda as Tetsuya Murata
- Akari Hayami as Tetsuko Murata
- Tsuyoshi Domoto as Shinsuke Takasugi
This marks Domoto’s first movie appearance in since 2005’s Fantastipo.
- Shun Oguri as Gintoki Sakata
- Masaki Suda as Shinpachi Shimura
- Kanna Hashimoto as Kagura
- Masami Nagasawa as Tae Shimura
- Masaki Okada as Kotaro Katsura
- Tsuyoshi Muro as Gengai Hiraga
- Yuuya Yagira as Toshiro Hijikata
- Ryo Yoshizawa as Sougo Okita
- Kankurou Nakamura VI as Isao Kondo
Filming began in July, and Director Fukuda revealed earlier this month that filming with Gintoki’s actor Shun Oguri has wrapped up. The tweet amassed 66,000 retweets and 108,000 likes. Iconic.
Sorachi began the manga in 2004 and entering its final arc on July 11, it continues to be ranked among the top-selling manga in Japan. The manga now has more than 50 million copies in print in Japan.
The manga inspired a television anime that premiered in 2006 and continued until 2013 after a bunch of hiatuses. The latest Gintama television anime series premiered in April 2015, and ended in March.
Gintama opens to theaters across Japan in 2017.