Most spring dramas started airing this week! Have you watched any? If you missed it, you can check out our Spring 2017 Jdramas list.
As avid drama followers have noticed, TV ratings are not what is used to be a decade ago. With regards to the changing times and TV viewing trends, let’s talk about the term Time – shifted viewing (TSV). This is in acknowledgment of the diversity in how consumers view media and advertising. Simply put, this metric provides viewer ratings aside from “real time” viewing ratings. Yes, it’s that point where viewers do not watch live but watch shows on their smartphones or PCs at a later time.
Y’all Arama readers, I’m not very knowledgeable on this but I did some uhhh, research for everyone. Please feel free to share inputs. More on that below!
|Spring 2017 JDrama TV Drama Ratings|
|Fuji TV||Mon, 9pm||Kizoku Tantei||11.8||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||11.8|
|Fuji TV||Tue, 9pm||CRISIS||13.9||11.2||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||12.71|
|TBS||Tue, 10pm||Anata no Koto wa Sore Hodo||11.1||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||11.1|
|NTV||Wed, 10pm||Haha ni Naru||10.6||10.7||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||10.65|
|TV Asahi||Thur, 9pm||Kinkyuu Torishirabeshitsu Season 2||17.9||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||17.9|
|Fuji TV||Thur, 10pm||Hito wa Mita Me ga 100%||9.5||6.4||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||8.14|
|NTV||Thu, 11:59pm||Koi ga Heta de mo Ikitemasu||3.7||3.2||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||3.45|
|TV Asahi||Fri, 11:15pm||Joshu Seven||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–|
|NTV||Sat, 10pm||Boku, Unmei no Hito desu||12.0||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||12.0|
|FUJI TV||Sun, 9pm||Sakurako-san no Sokka ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–|
|TBS||Sun, 9pm||Chiisana Kyojin||13.7||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||13.7|
|NTV||Sun, 10:30pm||Frankenstein no Koi||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–|
Time Shifted Viewing (TSV)
- This was introduced in the Japanese media market October 2015. This is free of charge and the main commercial broadcasting stations in Tokyo now provide on-air TV programs.
- Video Research Ltd expanded its Kanto Area Viewership Survey last October 2016 to 900 households for measurement of TSV.
- Audiences can watch missed TV programs, which are aired predominantly during prime time (19:00–23:00), for about one week using the Internet, on their PCs, tablets, and smartphones.
- Commercials are included and cannot be skipped.
- Time shifted viewership is actual time-shifted viewing within 7 days (168 hours) following initial broadcast. However, this is also regardless of whether real-time viewing was also done.
- It may look like the struggle for TV stations nowadays is to make viewers watch real time. TSV might further pose a threat to live viewing but broadcasting stations decided to offer it because digital video recorder (DVR) is also a threat and does not provide revenue. At least through TSV, they get advertising revenues than none at all when consumers opt to record shows on their own.
Video Research Ltd released data for its Fall 2016 and Winter 2017 drama and variety shows.
Top 10 programs for time-shifted viewership
●Time-shifted viewing within 7 days (168 hours) following initial broadcast, regardless of whether real-time viewing was also done
●Programs broadcast for 15 or more minutes
●When there are two programs with the same title and broadcasting company, only the higher-ranking program is shown
Winter 2017 Jdramas
|Program||Rat% Live||Rat% Time-shifted||Rat% Total||TV Station||Ep Date|
|1||Tokyo Tarareba Girl||8.5||12.0||19.2||NTV||3/15|
|3||Uso no Sensou||11.6||10.0||19.9||FUJI TV||3/14|
|5||Anna and the Snow Queen||19.7||7.8||25.8||FUJI TV||3/4|
|7||Soshite dare mo inakunatta SP 1st night||15.7||7.2||22.0||TV Asahi||3/25|
|8||Aibou Season 15 2-HR SP||16.2||7.1||22.3||TV Asahi||3/22|
|9||Shikaku Tantei Higurashi Tabito||11.2||6.9||17.4||NTV||1/22|
|10||Soshite dare mo inakunatta SP 2nd night||13.1||6.9||19.5||TV Asahi||3/26|
Fall 2016 Jdramas
**ranked according to time-shifted viewer ratings. Total ratings does not add up, which I can only assume is because they deducted the numbers that both did live viewing and time shifted viewing