#1 Song Review: Week of 7/12 – 7/18 (KinKi Kids v. Mr.Children v. Utada Hikaru)

Hello, Arama! Japan readers and welcome to this week’s installment of #1 Song Review! Last week saw Hey! Say! JUMP top BUMP OF CHICKEN. This week, we have three newcomers facing off. Find out what various staff members thought of the songs that topped the physical and digital charts this week and share your thoughts on them too!

Oricon #1 / Billboard #1: KinKi Kids – The Red Light (not released digitally)

Ronald: I really don’t like this. The problems start at the beginning. The intro, which is also the chorus, is really bad. For some reason, the actual music reminds me of turn of the millennium music, like something someone like Mya would release. You can do older music, but make it fresh. That wasn’t done in this case. It just makes them sound dated. And their voices don’t work well at all together. It’s very two drunk dads at karaoke. The verses are better, largely because they’re not singing together. 2/10

Recochoku #1: Mr.Children – HANABI (not in the Oricon top 200 (probably out of print since it was released in 2008) / iTunes #11 / Billboard #23)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5NoFw8v72Y

Ronald: I’ve heard this song a bunch of times over the decade since it’s been released on various TV shows, and I still feel the same way about it: It’s nice. But that’s it. It’s something nice to hear every once in a while, in the background, but it’s not something I would seek out. It’s pleasant, but not dynamic enough to capitivate me. 6/10

iTunes #1: Utada Hikaru – Oozora de Dakishimete (not released physically / Recochoku #4 / Billboard #3)

Ronald: Half of you hate me due to what I’ve said about Utada Hikaru’s comeback. While I did like some songs on her last album, it generally underwhelmed me. But this song caught my attention! The opening made me think “Ohh Lord, more mom pop…”, but by the end I was hooked! This song is a nice bridge between her glorious old style and whatever she was trying to do on “Fantôme.” The highlight of the song is the first chorus. Those strings, the way they crescendo, really was like a blast from the past. 8.5/10

Ronald’s Rank:

1. iTunes #1: Utada Hikaru – Oozora de Dakishimete

2. Recochoku #1: Mr.Children – HANABI

3. Oricon #1 / Billboard #1: KinKi Kids – The Red Light

Which one do you like the most?

Oricon #1 / Billboard #1: KinKi Kids – The Red Light
Recochoku #1: Mr.Children – HANABI
iTunes #1: Utada Hikaru – Oozora de Dakishimete

Poll Maker

Comments