Today Tower Records Japan have chosen to announce the releases which stand at the top of their Bestseller lists for the year 2016. These rankings reflect the combined total sales of the Japanese, Imported, Limited, Analog, etc. versions of each Album/DVD sold through Tower Records stores from December 1st of last year through November 30th of this year.
The Japanese Year-End chart was topped by Hikaru Utada’s “Fantôme”, while the Foreign Year-End chart has been topped by the Red Hot Chili Peppers’ latest full-length “the Getaway”. The Jazz category was ruled by Norah Jones’ “Day Breaks”, with Nikolaus Harnoncourt’s interpretation of Beethoven’s 4th and 5th Symphonies (with the Concentus Musicus Wien) taking the top spot in the Classical category. As for Music DVDs, Arashi once again topped the ranking with their “ARASHI LIVE TOUR 2015 Japonism”; meanwhile, the top Soundtrack album of the year was the score to the smash hit film “Shin Godzilla”. Finally, the top selling single at Tower Records’ stores was SMAP’s “Sekai ni Hitotsu Dake no Hana”.
Congratulations of course go to all of the victors, and the full Top 20s for the Japanese Album chart, the Western Album chart, and more will follow after the cut.
-’Tower Records Japan’ 2016 Bestseller Lists-
Japanese Albums (Top 20):
- Hikaru Utada – Fantôme
- Gen Hoshino – YELLOW DANCER
- BUMP OF CHICKEN – Butterflies
- Arashi – Are You Happy?
- RADWIMPS – Kimi no Na wa.
- BABYMETAL – METAL RESISTANCE
- Hey! Say! JUMP – DEAR.
- Perfume – COSMIC EXPLORER
- Kazumasa Oda – Ano Hi, Ano Toki
- Sandaime J Soul Brothers – THE JSB LEGACY
- MAN WITH A MISSION – The World’s On Fire
- KAT-TUN – 10th ANNIVERSARY BEST “10Ks!”
- Ikimonogakari – Cho Ikimonobakari ~Tennen Kinen Members’ BEST Selection~
- NEWS – QUARTETTO
- Nogizaka46 – Sorezore no Isu
- E-girls – E.G. SMILE -E-girls BEST-
- back number – Chandelier
- KinKi Kids – N album
- Kana Nishino – Just LOVE
- Various Artists – HiGH & LOW ORIGINAL BEST ALBUM