#1 Song Review: Week of 3/26 – 4/1 (BiSH v. Yonezu Kenshi v. Suda Masaki)

Hello, Arama! Japan readers and welcome to this week’s installment of #1 Song Review! Last week saw Suda Masaki defeat Matsuri nine. and Yonezu Kenshi. Masaki and Kenshi are back again this week, facing off against a newcomer. Find out what various staff members thought of the songs that topped the singles charts this week and share your thoughts on them too!

Oricon #1: BiSH – PAiNT it BLACK (Billboard Hot 100 #3 / not in the Oricon Digital Singles top 20 / not in the Billboard Download Songs top 100 / not in the Billboard Streaming Songs top 100)

Ronald: This sounds like a typical anime song, but the vocals sound very bored, as if they wish they were recording some other song. It’s quite jarring, and makes the song less enjoyable. 4.5/10

Billboard Hot 100 #1 / Oricon Digital Singles #1 / Billboard Download Songs #1: Yonezu Kenshi – Lemon (Oricon #8 / not available for streaming)

Ronald: Same review as before: Kenshi is a mixed bag. I liked him at first, then he fell out of my favor. I hated the singles from this last album, but the album itself was surprisingly strong. I think that may be happening again, because I’m not really wowed by this. There are some moments where I like the production, but overall, it sounds like something any other male singer-songwriter / male-front band would do. 5/10

Billboard Streaming Songs #1: Suda Masaki – Sayonara Elegy (Oricon #x / Billboard Hot 100 #5 / Oricon Digital Singles #6 / Billboard Download Songs #8)

Watch here

Ronald: Same review as before: I’m actually quite surprised by this. I didn’t think this was going to be as good as it is coming from an actor. This is like a more upbeat version of what a lot of male singer-songwriters do, so it is different in that regard. It’s also reminding me of a particular YUKI song that I can’t recall the name of right now. 7/10

Ronald’s Rank:

1. Billboard Streaming Songs #1: Suda Masaki – Sayonara Elegy

2. Billboard Hot 100 #1 / Oricon Digital Singles #1 / Billboard Download Songs #1: Yonezu Kenshi – Lemon

3. Oricon #1: BiSH – PAiNT it BLACK

Which one do you like the most?

Oricon #1: BiSH – PAiNT it BLACK
Billboard Hot 100 #1 / Oricon Digital Singles #1 / Billboard Download Songs #1: Yonezu Kenshi – Lemon
Billboard Streaming Songs #1: Suda Masaki – Sayonara Elegy

Comments