#1 Song Review: Week of 3/19 – 3/25 (Matsuri nine. v. Yonezu Kenshi v. Suda Masaki)

Hello, Arama! Japan readers and welcome to this week’s installment of #1 Song Review! Last week saw Yonezu Kenshi defeat AKB48 and Keyakizaka46. Kenshi is back again this week, facing off against a newcomer and a blast from the past. Find out what various staff members thought of the songs that topped the singles charts this week and share your thoughts on them too!

Oricon #1: Matsuri nine. – HARE Hare Carnival (Billboard Hot 100 #2 / not in the Oricon Digital Singles top 20 / not in the Billboard Download Songs top 100 / not in the Billboard Streaming Songs top 100)

Ronald: What is with all these non-Johnny’s or LDH boybands releasing this hyper upbeat crap? It’s become cliche at this point, as has this blend of the traditional and the contemporary. I just find the use of traditional Japanese music in these songs to be quite tacky and gimmicky. Looking at how badly this song bombed in other formats, there was probably some sort of huge gimmick attached to this release. 3/10

Billboard Hot 100 #1 / Oricon Digital Singles #1 / Billboard Download Songs #1: Yonezu Kenshi – Lemon (Oricon #2 / not available for streaming)

Ronald: Same review as before: Kenshi is a mixed bag. I liked him at first, then he fell out of my favor. I hated the singles from this last album, but the album itself was surprisingly strong. I think that may be happening again, because I’m not really wowed by this. There are some moments where I like the production, but overall, it sounds like something any other male singer-songwriter / male-front band would do. 5/10

Billboard Streaming Songs #1: Suda Masaki – Sayonara Elegy (Oricon #3 / Billboard Hot 100 #6 / Oricon Digital Singles #5 / Billboard Download Songs #5)

Watch here

Ronald: Same review as before: I’m actually quite surprised by this. I didn’t think this was going to be as good as it is coming from an actor. This is like a more upbeat version of what a lot of male singer-songwriters do, so it is different in that regard. It’s also reminding me of a particular YUKI song that I can’t recall the name of right now. 7/10

Ronald’s Rank:

1. Billboard Streaming Songs #1: Suda Masaki – Sayonara Elegy

2. Billboard Hot 100 #1 / Oricon Digital Singles #1 / Billboard Download Songs #1: Yonezu Kenshi – Lemon

3. Oricon #1: Matsuri nine. – HARE Hare Carnival

Which one do you like the most?

Oricon #1: Matsuri nine. – HARE Hare Carnival
Billboard Hot 100 #1 / Oricon Digital Singles #1 / Billboard Download Songs #1: Yonezu Kenshi – Lemon
Billboard Streaming Songs #1: Suda Masaki – Sayonara Elegy

Comments