#1 Song Review: Week of 12/17 – 12/23 (KinKi Kids v. Uru v. Aimyon)

Hello, Arama! Japan readers and welcome to this week’s installment of #1 Song Review! Last week saw Yonezu Kenshi defeat SKE48 and Aimyon. Aimyon is back this week, facing off against a newcomer and a blast from the past. Find out what Ronald thought of the songs that topped the singles charts this week and share your thoughts on them too!

Oricon Combined #1 / Billboard Hot 100 #1 / Oricon Physical #1: KinKi Kids – Aitai, Aitai, Aenai. (not released digitally or for streaming)

Watch here

I want to like this song more, but I can’t. I like the track, but I don’t like KinKi Kids singing on it. I would like this song more if someone else was singing it. And I also find the chorus a bit of a letdown. It’s an anti-climax rather than a climax. The verses are much more exciting than the chorus, which is quite odd. 5.5/10

_________

Oricon Digital Singles #1 / Billboard Download Songs #1: Uru – Prologue (Oricon Combined #7 / Billboard Hot 100 #6 / Oricon Physical #16 / not available for streaming)

Same review as before: The theme song for the pedophilic teacher drama… I will admit that when I was in Japan, I did watch the drama every time it came on. It was super dramatic, and this song fits it well. Not because the song itself is super dramatic, but because it’s more mellow, an antidote of sorts. There is a sadness to the song that matches the drama well without being too much. And even without the drama, the song’s emotions resonate. 7/10

_________

Oricon Streaming #1 / Billboard Streaming Songs #1: Aimyon – Konya Kono Mama (not in the Oricon Combined top 10 / Billboard Hot 100 #7 / Oricon Digital Singles #8 / Billboard Download Songs #9)

Same review as before: I haven’t listen to Aimyon much, but I can see her appeal. She’s an earnest singer-songwriter that doesn’t have the theatrics around her like the divas of yore, and people go for that today. I wouldn’t say that this song is exciting or all that interesting, but it is decent. 5/10

_________

Rank

1. Oricon Digital Singles #1 / Billboard Download Songs #1: Uru – Prologue

2. Oricon Combined #1 / Billboard Hot 100 #1 / Oricon Physical #1: KinKi Kids – Aitai, Aitai, Aenai.

3. Oricon Streaming #1 / Billboard Streaming Songs #1: Aimyon – Konya Kono Mama

_________

Which one do you like the most?

Oricon Combined #1 / Billboard Hot 100 #1 / Oricon Physical #1: KinKi Kids – Aitai, Aitai, Aenai.
Oricon Digital Singles #1 / Billboard Download Songs #1: Uru – Prologue
Oricon Streaming #1 / Billboard Streaming Songs #1: Aimyon – Konya Kono Mama

Comments