#1 Song Review: Week of 11/26 – 12/2 (AKB48 v. Yonezu Kenshi v. FranChouChou v. Aimyon)

Hello, Arama! Japan readers and welcome to this week’s installment of #1 Song Review! Last week saw Tohoshinki defeat back number and Aimyon. Aimyon is back this week, facing off against two newcomers and a blast from the past. Find out what Ronald thought of the songs that topped the singles charts this week and share your thoughts on them too!

Oricon #1 / Billboard Hot 100 #1: AKB48 – NO WAY MAN (not in the Oricon Digital Singles top 20 / Billboard Download Songs #25 / not available for streaming)

I can see what they were going for with this, but it misses the mark. It’s a mess in need of some fine tuning so it can hit its mark. I also wish the vocals had more energy to them. They’re quite lazy in parts and that detracts from the song’s energy. 4/10

______

Oricon Digital Singles #1: Yonezu Kenshi – Lemon (Oricon #24 / Billboard Hot 100 #2 / Billboard Download Songs #2 / not released for streaming)

Same review as before: Kenshi is a mixed bag. I liked him at first, then he fell out of my favor. I hated the singles from this last album, but the album itself was surprisingly strong. I think that may be happening again, because I’m not really wowed by this. There are some moments where I like the production, but overall, it sounds like something any other male singer-songwriter / male-front band would do. 5/10

______

Billboard Download Songs #1: FranChouChou – Adabana Necromancy (Oricon #13 / Billboard Hot 100 #5 / Oricon Digital Singles #2 / not Billboard Streaming Songs top 100)

My first thought when I heard this was “I wouldn’t be shocked if Shiina Ringo wrote this”, but then it super stereotypical anime. I wish it hadn’t done that. But I guess the mix of style is somewhat interesting? 5.5/10

______

Billboard Streaming Songs #1: Aimyon – Konya Kono Mama (not in the Oricon top 50 / Billboard Hot 100 #7 / Oricon Digital Singles #10 / Billboard Download Songs #10)

Same review as before: I haven’t listen to Aimyon much, but I can see her appeal. She’s an earnest singer-songwriter that doesn’t have the theatrics around her like the divas of yore, and people go for that today. I wouldn’t say that this song is exciting or all that interesting, but it is decent. 5/10

______

1. Billboard Download Songs #1: FranChouChou – Adabana Necromancy

2. Oricon Digital Singles #1: Yonezu Kenshi – Lemon

2. Billboard Streaming Songs #1: Aimyon – Konya Kono Mama

4. Oricon #1 / Billboard Hot 100 #1: AKB48 – NO WAY MAN

______

Which one do you like the most?

Oricon #1 / Billboard Hot 100 #1: AKB48 – NO WAY MAN
Oricon Digital Singles #1: Yonezu Kenshi – Lemon
Billboard Download Songs #1: FranChouChou – Adabana Necromancy
Billboard Streaming Songs #1: Aimyon – Konya Kono Mama

Comments