#1 Song Review: Week of 12/4 – 12/10 (Bodan Shonen Dan v. Chris Hart v. Utada Hikaru)

Hello, Arama! Japan readers and welcome to this week’s installment of #1 Song Review! Last week saw Kis-My-Ft2 defeat DAOKO x Yonezu Kenshi and Kegani feat. DracoVirgo.This week, we have three newcomvers facing off. Find out what various staff members thought of the songs that topped the singles charts this week and share your thoughts on them too!

Oricon #1 / Billboard Hot 100 #1: Bodan Shonen Dan – MIC Drop (not available for streaming / Download Songs #65)

Ronald: I’m at a loss as to what to say about this mess. Actually, I’m not: this is an utter disaster. A bunch of random noises mixed with hip hop cliches instead of an actual song. I had a hard time trying to understand what language this was in exactly. This is like a bad Big Bang album track. Even they have enough dignity not to release crap like this as a single. I hear time and time again about how this group is unique, but everything here is just very copy and paste. Maybe this group just has their own distinct brand of tackiness to sprinkle on top?  0/10

________

Streaming Songs #1: Chris Hart – I LOVE YOU (not in the Oricon top 50 / Billboard Hot 100 #7 / Download Songs #3)

Ronald: This is a fairly standard ballad, but Chris’ vocals make it stand out. His voice is so emotive. 6/10

________

Download Songs #1: Utada Hikaru – Anata (not released physically / Billboard Hot 100 #3 / not available for streaming)

Ronald: I’ve been quite critical of Utada since her comeback due to her releasing music that I feel doesn’t live up to her legacy. This is one of those songs that I would rank in the middle. I don’t really see it as single material, but it’s a nice album track. I think the jazz influence is quite interesting. It’s a bit like a stripped down Shiina Ringo song. 7/10

________

Ronald’s Rank:

1. Download Songs #1: Utada Hikaru – Anata

2. Streaming Songs #1: Chris Hart – I LOVE YOU

3. Oricon #1 / Billboard Hot 100 #1: Bodan Shonen Dan – MIC Drop

________

Which one do you like the most?

Oricon #1 / Billboard Hot 100 #1: Bodan Shonen Dan – MIC Drop
Streaming Songs #1: Chris Hart – I LOVE YOU
Download Songs #1: Utada Hikaru – Anata

Quiz Maker

• Comments

• pondloso

Wow that “MIC Drop” really blow me away
      it like make me immune to any shit song in this world right now.
      that song like mix of shit American rap song in together

BTS looks like a parody

• micin

wow 0/10???? 😰

• gus

the song is like that iKon song you reviewed last year but even worse because this one & the fans don’t have self-awareness of how bad is this.

• Lol

*grab a popcorn

• PigeonPop

The whole thing is just so ostentatious. The musical equivalent of being force-fed several spicy hamburgers, ice cream sundaes, and alcohol in one setting. 😷 Chris and Hikki = antacids. 💊💊

• What

Ouch 0/10…. Anyways, Anata is a beautiful song I cant stop listening to it

• Mela

Well, everytime some international artists praise bts i’d be like ‘am I the only one who find there’s nothing special about their music’, but seeing Ronald gives it 0/10 is kinda unexpected.

• うそつき

A lot of it is the lyrics.:( It’s different from the usual kpop stuff. It may not seem great to people who are used to meaningful lyrics, but you don’t see that to often with a kpop groups. I wouldn’t have started liking them if I hadn’t seen what they’re like. Their personalities get people to stay.

• Lisallie

But lots (read: most) of Jpop songs have meaningful, deep, touching, you-name-it lyric! even songs written by Aki-P (i.e 48group) have deep, meaningful lyric despite their arguably garbage arrangement.

• What

I thought it would at least get a 1/10 lol tbh it’s not my favourite song from them. I really love how Anata sounds! It’s so calming but still upbeat enough to keep me interested lol I cant even explain it properly… and I also liked the MV, its simple and reminds me of Flavor of Life.

• A lot of those international artists are completely ignorant of Asian music so something like BTS is amazing to them.

• I really can’t stand the sound of the original Mic Drop instrumental, which is probably why I lean closer to the Steve Aoki remix. So automatically like the k-version, this Japanese one is a dud for me as well. And without the effortless rapping in the beginning from Desiigner, combined with the visuals of this MV you can really see how try hard this is.

I’m in love with Utada’s Anata though. It’s perfect for the season and just so beautifully chill.

• Not Here

Ronald shitting on Kpop groups, what’s new.

• Ben_thecoolhobo

It is bad though… I would give it 2/10

• Listen to a KPop song from this year that is actually good:

• lol

It’s interesting it was released by SM when none of the members in SM anymore

• It was a special anniversary release.

• Lisallie

i would give it -10000 for wasting my time

• Ben_thecoolhobo

I don’t see how Utada hasn’t lived up to her legacy. I feel like she’s been giving us from the “Distance” era. The MVs have been tragic though

• MJBeatle

The main reason why fans value BTS’s song is for the sole reason that these guys apparently produce and compose their songs, but the problem is just because you produce and compose songs, it doesn’t make you an artist…. You have to do it well…. This song just sounded very common and bland like a usual American hip hop/screaming song.

• pandaapple

tbh the members don’t even contribute that much in regards to producing and composing its just fans and media hyping them up.

• Eris_03

JE idols have done that for years, yet no fan justifies their crap songsby saying they can compose and write their own music 😂.

Look at Kanjani8, they’re pretty much hands-on with their music, but fans won’t deny that ER2. (and a bunch of othe songs) was shit.

• losers game

lmao – came here for the 0/10 and was not disappointed

• Kanjo Maru

Damn that really was trash. And of fucking course butthurt Kpop fans are brigading the poll.

Cry more.

Anata is blocked in Japan. :|

• PigeonPop

If you’re in Japan, try this one:

• Kanjo Maru

Thanks. I should’ve guessed it was Sony shenanigans.

• Sui

I really need someone to explain to me what’s with Sony and all it’s region blocks. I’m so fasturated as most of my fav Japanese artists are under Sony.

• King Hide

lol yesterday anata was the lead and now this annoying Kpop group. seems the fans really care in every polls

• Sui

Love anata have been playing it on repeat. Love the r&b feel and the lyrics is beautiful.

Glad that Chris is getting more attention these days, though his songs are not what I would usually like but this guy has a awesome voice.

On a side note, I saying this as a non fan of bts. I would say this is not one of their best songs but does it really deserve a 0, seems too far fetch. I get that this is your review, your opinion and all but isn’t this too extreme😕

• Lisallie

that chris hart guy is good!~!
      any songs of him you’d like to recommend?

• Seira

For the ones similar to I LOVE YOU: Anata e, Still loving you, Arigatou, Tatta Hitotsu no Okuri Mono
        He covers a lot of famous J-Pop songs too! I personally like Hitomi wo Tojite, MeriKuri, and Final Distance

• Lisallie

Wow, he’s such a real gem!!
          (I regret not finding him earlier tbh… to be fair, he deserved more spotlite!!)

Brb finding his songs on Jp*ps*ki…

• Ben_thecoolhobo

his original songs are just as good as the covers

• うそつき

I can’t believe I’m defending a kpop group. I couldn’t see this happening years ago, but something about this review seems like a misinformed rant and I actually like BTS. [Even they have enough dignity not to release crap like this as a single.] The original MIC Drop was released on the album Love Yourself 承 ‘Her. The Japanese remix version was released MIC Drop / DNA / Crystal Snow (Japanese single). The original is old school hip hop, while the remixed version is more…modern? It was remixed by Steve Aoki. I personally like the Eng/Kor version a lot better than the Jap ver. There was only the original version before Steve Aoki (Famous DJ) and Desiigner (Famous American rapper) offered to add their own flare to it.
      -a diss track to all of their haters-
      Original

Remix feat Steve Aoki

Remix feat Steve Aoki + Desiigner (#1 On Itunes U.S. and 60 Countries)

Japanese ver of the remix

• This is about the Japanese version of the original song, nothing else.

• うそつき

Freedom of speech.
          I’m actually glad you said this is about Japanese version and nothing else because you can say this one song is bad if you don’t like it. Fine. They have many different songs of many different genres. I personally don’t think the Jap version is the best version.
          I wanted to show every version, so I did.

• Are any of the other versions one of the 3 A-sides on this Japanese single? No. So there is no reason for them to be brought up. They’re irrelevant.

• うそつき

Okay.

• Asha

Misinformed? Lol. Please. You guys are acting so extra right now it frankly is not doing your cause any good.

• Kanjo Maru

“Freedom of speech”
                “All I did was correct you”
                “Until I move to a communist country I can say what I want”
                “Deal with it”

Says a guy who wrote MULTIPLE MASSIVE rants to complain about a 6 line review!!

• pandaapple

how you gonna choose mic drop as the hill you chose to die on????? Look I love bts and they have good music, the whole hyyh series was amazing, but this garbage and the entire love yourself ep was trash and honestly I would rank it less than 0. Ronald was being generous.

• “how you gonna choose mic drop as the hill you chose to die on????? ”

I’m screaming!!!!! LOL!

• うそつき

Now the reason I can only be a fan of BTS as someone who literally only likes Jpop (rather, Japanese music in general) is because of BTS’s background, humble personalities, and most of all, the lyrics to their songs. A lot of people have been through depression. A lot of people struggle to make it in this world, but BTS’s lyrics encourages fans to keep going.
      No one here cares or likes this kind of music, but I feel as though that deserves recognition, so I’m just putting this unwanted, not agreed with information out there. Sorry. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywbZV5lm6Vc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFBfQNXDQmg

• As if there aren’t a million acts that have feel good, uplifting songs… Japanese music is know for that…

And liking an act due to their background, personality, etc is a very idol thing. Not everyone is into that. Some people like artists solely for their music.

• うそつき

Korean music is known for that. Kpop music isn’t known for that.

People like BTS for their talent, their message, their personalities, their relationship with their fans and each other, their lyrics and their music. Not everyone has to be into that. ARMY is. They are different from other kpop groups, that’s all.

• You’re on a Japanese entertainment site. You can leave whatever happens in Korea and its industry over there. When you come to a site like this, your fave is going to be compared to Japanese acts because that is the sphere they’re trying to get into. So when it comes to Japanese music, what BTS does is nothing special.

• うそつき

Many of the stuff you cover is nothing special.
              That’s just an opinion any way. You think everything you say is factual.

Japanese acts are my fave not this. It may be out of context what I posted, but until I move to a communist country, I can. I didn’t say anything about what they were compared to. I thought this was a review, but it was an comparison? Okay. So it wasn’t meant to be a valid review? Makes sense now. I was only commenting on MIC Drop’s review. I said nothing about any other act. I didn’t know that wasn’t allowed.

• yaccha “JoinAramaDiscord” itai

are all BTS fans this retarded

• Elodie Genia

More crazy than retarded…I suppose

• gus

2014/15 Arama also had these type of passive-aggresive defending comments when Arashi was criticized

• Asha

Looking back, those comments somehow look more tame.

• Gerl

At least when the Arashi fans talks about uplifting lyrics and what nots, they can back it up with actual well written lyrics. This bts song just a dumb boastful bit with no wittiness at all.

• Asha

I know fans can get defensive but wow. This level of mansplaining is just plain dumb. It is a review. Not everyone would like things.

• lol

Other fandom would say the same :D and there is korean songs that have uplifting messages tho

• Thomas

“No cons in our concerts
            I do it, I do it, you’re a bad ratatouille
            If you’re jealous, sue me
            Sue it” << their lyrics are so deep and powerful wow

• Lisallie

such lyric is mediocre and defo pales in comparison to jpop’s uplifting lyric thou

• Gerl

as someone who literally only likes Jpop (rather, Japanese music in general)
        Lies. You wouldn’t so casually throw “Jap” (a derogatory term) around if you’re a fan of Japanese music for years.

BTS’s lyrics encourages fans to keep going. No one here cares or likes this kind of music
        “Here” is aramajapan. Another statement that exposes your lies of being a jpop/Japanese music fan. You have no idea jpop are full of encouraging songs. A poser.

• うそつき

[A bunch of random noises mixed with hip hop cliches instead of an actual song.] I agree. Since this song is in fact very hip hop. (The original version is literally old school hip hop) I’ve seen BTS being praised by loyal hip hop fans for their work ethic. “Hip hop has gotten lazy”, one person says. “No one dances anymore”…ect… I hated Rap before seeing BTS. But they’re actually talented. They’re not rapping about b*tches and drugs like American rappers. Rap has gotten lazy as well.

Suga or Agust D’ from BTS suffered from depression and anxiety all his life. He writes songs about his struggles.He and the other rappers from BTS are so talented at what they do and they deserve respect.
      Suga’s (Agust D’) skills:

His lyrics on his life:

• うそつき

[ I had a hard time trying to understand what language this was in exactly. ]
      This comment, I had a good laugh from lol. Same.
      I had a very hard time figuring out what they were saying in the English version.
      I saw various Japanese fans in the comment section saying they had no idea what they were saying in the Japanese version.
      It was hilarious. On Desiigner’s (American rapper) version, English speakers were complaining that they had an easier time understanding BTS’s English than Desiigner’s LOL.
      It’s a full circle. No one knew what the heck was going on. 😂👌 Good thing for subtitles.

• うそつき

BTS. Not just a kpop group. I’m glad I got to know these wonderful people. They continue to break records every year and overcome hardships through hard work.

I won’t ask anyone to like them, but at least see who they are before ridiculing them. Everyone deserves a chance. I learned not to be so judgmental because of these guys. I’m far more open minded now, seeing so many people judging them without knowing a thing about them. I used to be like that towards groups I didn’t like, but never again. I don’t want to do the same to others that is done to them. It’s normal behavior, but…BTS changes people. They’ve inspired me and others to do better. To be better.
      Love Myself. Love Yourself. Peace. – Suga

• Maknae

Y’all are really outdoing yourselves in the online annoyance department recently.

• Lisallie

EVERYONE. WORKS. HARD, okay?

even those who are not popular (yet)… even those who still does not have chance to debut yet….
        THEY ALL WORK HARD
        (in fact probably harder than BTS). “Working hard” isn’t enough, dear. Esp in this entertainment industry. Influence is needed. Sponsorship is needed. LOOK (which I’m sure why they are popular) is important. Working hard is just an additional narrative. In real life, it doesn’t matter much whether u work hard or not. That is sad reality.

• Eris_03

Everyone in the music industry works hard, not just BTS. They were just lucky that they became popular. They work hard? JE idols, for example, has variety, acting, concert tours and a bunch of other stuff. Some even go to school. But you don’t see any fans using that to justify their shit songs.

Hardships? Kanjani8 has enough hardships for a lifetime before they gpt famous. Yes, a lot of fans are inspired, but they don’t go around saying that we should worship Kanjani8 because of it. They don’t justify Kanjani8’s stupid songs by saying “they worked hard” or “they inspired me”

Uplifting songs is not new in jpop 😂. This may sound cheezy, but River by akb48 was the song that uplifted me during my darkest days, but I won’t deny that a lot of Akb songs are meh.

We are talking about Mic Drop, not their background so don’t use it to jusify their song.

• Carmille Lozano

I agree. Although BTS as a group may be inspirational or motivational for producing their own music (which I’m sure they don’t contribute as much as fans hype them up to be) if the music they produce is terrible there’s no meaning. Every artist works hard, that’s a given, but it’s the result that counts. The general public does not care how hard an artist works or what hardships they went through, if the music doesn’t deliver then that’s it. Especially since their career is to make music, whatever shit song they put out shouldn’t be justified by their life story. As harsh as that may sound that’s how the entertainment industry works. There are plenty of artists with emotional backgrounds, but you don’t see fans using that to say a song is good. As great of a success BTS has had over the past couple years, I will admit that most of their songs are quite generic. The lyrics may be inspirational, but nothing ground breaking or worth hyping over. Actually most of their lyrics portray a common thought process with many young artists imo. I’d say BTS became successful because of the devoted fans rather than their actual music :/

• Wait a minute that BTS song is in Japanese???

• Carmille Lozano

Damn y’all going in on Bts. Can I ask why do you guys hate them?

• Lol

Who hate them? The song is bad tho..
        Their older songs are better

• Eris_03

They don’t really hate on BTS though. They just don’t like the song. And Ronald is just really harsh 😂

• Carmille Lozano

yeah, I noticed after reading the comments lol

• Mfs

I loved MIC Drop, especially for being an idol song it’s really good. I would give it a 8/10.

• monica_monami

i tried listening to mic drop. cringey. They had better song than this.

• Margo

Haha, very interesting review. I also wanna leave opinion. Im BTS fan aka “ARMY”)
      For those who stayed and curious about review of BTS “Mic Drop” from ARMY.
      Well, the Korean version of song was written to be conclusing point of series of “Cyphers”. BTS suffered from hatred from early day, starting with visual – “face not an idol”, being idol instead of staying as underground rappers, being “dirty spoon”/”nugu” from small poor company etc. Hatred surrounded BTS from debut till nowadays. Of course boys expressed their frustration through songs. Cyphers are full of anger, resistance They swear and point their haters who never silent. “Mic Drop” is after-success “cypher” song. They claim there is no anger left in them, they dont need haters even to apologies, because they dont wanna prove anything to antis anymore. The lyrics wise. Also it wasnt supposed to be main track. The main is “DNA” as continuation of storyline from previous BTS albums series “Most beautiful moment in life”, “Wings”. Our current concept is about serendipity, epiphany, wonder, love – brighter mood.
      Now about process of producing song “mic drop”/”fire”/ “not today” type. Bang PD-nim (BTS CEO) said in 2013 that they asked members not only write good lyrics but also imagine it performing on stage. So some parts get corrected to be powerful as performance with hype dance. If you wanna feel “Mic Drop” vibe – I advise to look at performance (MAMA, SBS Gayo Daejun). Most of BTS title/performed songs are created to be musical style. There is storyline in dance, details etc.
      Ok, moving to “Mic Drop” being promoted. At BBMA BTS met Steve Aoki and decided to make collab. I guess Aoki chose song from album himself or it was most fitting to his own style.
      Now we got “Mic Drop” remixed version and international fans began to promote song.
      Also it was included in Japanese album.
      ARMY try to promote different songs showcasing BTS ability to pull different kind of performance. BTS are performers, whose main goal is deliver message and create great stage. An they mostly do it live, because they have pride in their stage.
      So if you like ballad like songs – of course this is not your type song. BTS have different songs – you can check their albums. Message wise – mic drop is “cypher” type song. BTS put message in their songs- like “Spring day” about protecting minorites, Sewol ferry tragedy, even funny “Go Go” is about sad millennial’s reality where there is no bright future, and we chase instant pleasure.
      I believe “Mic Drop”s main accent, goal – is stage, performance, vibe.
      If you wanna understand why BTS are popular – well you should study their message from early days and get to.know BTS as persons. BTS not only create songs, these songs represent their worldview and philosophy of their CEO (who studies Aesthetics in Seoul National University ) and Big Hit team.
      If someone says BTS not participate in writing songs that much – check RM’s vlive where he explains about the process of creating each songs in details. Also Suga usually does songs review in comeback day’s vlive.
      Sorry for grammar, Im not fluent in English)

• Seira

Um literally what are you on about??? Except their fans, who cares if they have tragic past? Who cares about how famous they are?? Who cares about OTHER versions of Mic Drop??? The review is only about the JAPANESE version of Mic Drop, period. And the song is just shit, why do BTS fans have such a hard time accepting this fact???

• Margo

Hello) thank you for reply. If you have time on your hands – look for update of my comment you replied to.
          My goal wasn’t to justify song. I dont attack any artist or reviewer Ronald. I didn’t write my comment for general public who dont care about opinion of biased fan. Not my market segment sadly.
          Bad song or good – I just told background story for those who 0,001% maybe curious. I clearly stated – it’s my biased ARMY review. If not curious – I dont force to read, everyone is allowed to scroll down

• Carmille Lozano

Unfortunately, the general public doesn’t give a shit about all that you said. What you wrote was from an “army” point of view which is “BTS is amazing, hardworking, talented, etc” which is common among fans of any artist. The post was talking about Mic Drop Japanese ver. since this is a Japanese entertainment site and its technically a Japanese song (although a bad one imo). From our point of view, we saw and heard Mic Drop Japanese ver. and wrote our opinions about it that’s all. Although some of us may be harsh, it’s still our opinion and none of us care about BTS backstory and life goals because none of that really matters if the song isn’t good. If everything you said justified the song, then every struggling artist has a “good” song.

• Margo

Hello) thank you for reply. If you have time on your hands – look for update of my comment you replied to.
          My goal wasn’t to justify song. I dont attack any artist or reviewer Ronald. I didn’t write my comment for general public who dont care about opinion of biased fan. Not my market segment sadly.
          Bad song or good – I just told background story for those who 0,001% maybe curious. I clearly stated – it’s my biased ARMY review. If not curious – I dont force to read, everyone is allowed to scroll down.

• Kanjo Maru

I’m always really happy to see people, fans or otherwise, give an alternate opinion. Ronald is interesting and all, but his word isn’t gospel, so I’m always hoping to see more reviews.

But unfortunately this was a little bogged down in obscure trivia that as a non-fan I couldn’t follow at all.

I don’t think this is the right platform for all bts fans to show their history.i am an army myself(i am jpop fan first though) but we hv to admit,this was not their best song.. they have good songs in korean,but here we are discussing their jap. Version of Mic Drop.. i am studying japanese for a year now.i can somehow understand jpop songs a little bit,but this…. i literally cringe and had to look for romaji.Their korean ver is good,but not this one. Army defending bts here,stop.. you are embarrassing yourself here.

• Margo

Bad song or good – I just told background story for those who 0,001% maybe curious. I clearly stated – it is my biased ARMY review. If not curious – I dont force to read, everyone is allowed to scroll down.

• losers game

i first came for the 0/10 and was not disappointed… i came back to see the “discussion” and was again not disappointed to see these BTS fans are worse than old arashi fans. christ almighty.

• Pingback: #1 Song Review: Week of 12/11 – 12/17 (Sandaime J Soul Brothers v. Utada Hikaru v. Spitz) | ARAMA! JAPAN()