#1 Song Review: Week of 1/15 – 1/21 (NEWS v. Mr.Children v. DAOKO x Yonezu Kenshi)

Hello, Arama! Japan readers and welcome to this week’s installment of #1 Song Review! Last week saw RYUJI IMAICHI defeat SKE48 and Namie Amuro. This week, we have two newcomers facing off against a blast from the past. Find out what various staff members thought of the songs that topped the singles charts this week and share your thoughts on them too!

Oricon #1 / Billboard Hot 100 #1: NEWS – LPS (not released digitally or for streaming)

Ronald: This is pretty decent. It reminds me of a top 40 radio song from a few years ago. In writing this, it reminds me of one of LDH’s more subdued non-ballads. This is a nice step in the right direction for them. I just remember that horrible song they released last year when I think of this group. 6.5/10

_______

Oricon Digital Singles #1 / Billboard Download Songs #1: Mr.Children – here comes by love (not available physically / Billboard Hot 100 #2 / not available for streaming)

Listen here

Ronald: I feel like I’ve heard this before. It’s just the same old Mr.Children. It doesn’t grab me. There’s nothing here to excite me. It doesn’t build to anything. It’s just… nice. 5/10

_______

Billboard Streaming Songs #1: DAOKO x Yonezu Kenshi – Uchiage Hanabi (not in the Oricon top 100 / Billboard Hot 100 #13 / not in the Oricon Digital Singles top 10 / Billboard Download Songs #20)

Ronald: Same as before: This is basically a Yonezu Kenshi song featuring DAOKO. I have my problems with Kenshi, and they’re evident in this song. While listening to this, all I can think of is a rehash of a The Chainsmokers song. But I will say that DAOKO’s voice has improved. I listened to one of her albums a few years ago and I had to stop it a few songs in because her voice literally gave me a headache and made me want to vomit. I don’t have that issue now! However, I’m a bit lost as to what her point is. She was a rapper, and now she’s trying to be a popstar? I don’t get it… 5.5/10

_______

Ronald’s Rank:

1. Oricon #1 / Billboard Hot 100 #1: NEWS – LPS

2. Billboard Streaming Songs #1: DAOKO x Yonezu Kenshi – Uchiage Hanabi

3. Oricon Digital Singles #1 / Billboard Download Songs #1: Mr.Children – here comes by love

_______

Which one do you like the most?

Oricon #1 / Billboard Hot 100 #1: NEWS – LPS
Oricon Digital Singles #1 / Billboard Download Songs #1: Mr.Children – here comes by love
Billboard Streaming Songs #1: DAOKO x Yonezu Kenshi – Uchiage Hanabi

Created with PollMaker

• Comments

• Karin~

LPS is such a nice song ♥ i also loved Emma but the jacket humping choreography put me off a bit

• Himi Tsu

This!

And NEVERLAND was an awesome album. For me, probably one of their best album :D

• Karin~

if you have time you should watch their neverland concert dvd, it’s the best one so far i’m my opinion (i love them all, though)

• Himi Tsu

I’m waiting for my copy of the Blu-ray to arrive. I hope it’ll be there next week !! I’m so excited waiting for it…

I had the huge luck to see Neverland Concert in Fukuoka, so I’m probably totally biased, but I also think that the concert is really good ♥ (But TBH, I think Tegoshi’s solo IS REALLY EMBARRASSING to watch ^^’ – even if I love listening to it :P)

• Eunice

I really like tegoshi’s voice especially when he’s singing madoromi

• Yullie

Appreciate a johnny’s group that can sing (Still missing tegomass though).
      After so many years news and arashi are now the only johnny concerts I would go for and whose cds that I would buy, mainly for their vocals and live performance. With the addition of busaiku for variety.
      These 3 groups are probably the only johnny groups I would genuinely follow as they are the ones that has truly made me smile over the years.

• Sui

LPS is just one of those songs that makes me smile. Especially since it’s nearing my exams…

• Ronald, you weren’t that harsh this time…:D

• death_signs

Appreciate that the label is giving them a better song this time round. Their vocals are what made me fall in love with this group. Hope there would be more songs in future that would bring out this good trait of theirs.

• Hayley

Wanted to aim for NEWS’s tour dates this year, but I’ll be having lectures throughout. I’m so tempted to just fly to Japan for the weekend and rush back immediately, though the air tix from my place can be quite expensive😫

• wonder888

Cant believe im still a NEWS fan after 10 freaking years. Why are they so lovable..

• Bobson Dugnutt

LPS is so good. I miss being a hardcore NEWS fan TT

• Pingback: #1 Song Review: Week of 1/22 – 1/28 (KinKi Kids v. Mr.Children v. DAOKO x Yonezu Kenshi) | ARAMA! JAPAN()