#1 Song Review: Week of 10/2 – 10/8 (Sexy Zone v. Morning Musume. ’17 v. DAOKO x Yonezu Kenshi v. LiSA)

Hello, Arama! Japan readers and welcome to this week’s installment of #1 Song Review! Last week saw Touken Danshi formation of Mihotose defeat Leo Ieiri x Ohara Sakurako x Fujiwara Sakura. This week, this feature will see a change seeing as how the chart posts have seen a change. We have three newcomers facing off against a blast from the past. Find out what various staff members thought of the songs that topped the physical and digital charts this week and share your thoughts on them too!

Oricon #1: Sexy Zone – Gyutto (Billboard Hot 100 #2 / not released for streaming or download)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfqANBzzqKM

Ronald: I’m shocked! I actually don’t mind this. It has a quaint, feel good vibe to it. Nostalgic. Oftentimes, the voices of Sexy Zone’s members annoy me, especially that one with the big, square head who always grunts, but they reined it in on this one to create something that’s actually listenable. 6/10

Billboard Hot 100 #1: Morning Musume. ’17 – Jama Shinaide Here We Go! (Oricon #2 / not in the Streaming Songs top 100 / Download Songs #16)

Ronald: There’s something about the vocal phrasing in Morning Musume’s songs that lets me know it’s them, and I really wish they would get rid of it because it annoys the crap out of me. That being said, this is an improvement over their other more recent songs. The EDM is there, but it’s not as aggravting this time. It’s fresher, and pushed more to the back. 5.5/10

Streaming Songs #1: DAOKO x Yonezu Kenshi – Uchiage Hanabi (Oricon #61 / Billboard Hot 100 #3 / Download Songs #2)

Ronald: Same as before: This is basiacally a Yonezu Kenshi song featuring DAOKO. I have my problems with Kenshi, and they’re evident in this song. While listening to this, all I can think of is a rehash of a The Chainsmokers song. But I will say that DAOKO’s voice has improved. I listened to one of her albums a few years ago and I had to stop it a few songs in because her voice literally gave me a headache and made me want to vomit. I don’t have that issue now! However, I’m a bit lost as to what her point is. She was a rapper, and now she’s trying to be a popstar? I don’t get it… 5.5/10

Download Songs #1: LiSA – ASH (not released physically / Billboard Hot 100 #16 / not in the Streaming Songs top 100)

Watch here

Ronald: I liked this until it became so guitar-heavy. It just became another anime song at that point. 5.5/10

_________

Ronald’s Rank:

1. Oricon #1: Sexy Zone – Gyutto

2. Billboard Hot 100 #1: Morning Musume. ’17 – Jama Shinaide Here We Go!

2. Streaming Songs #1: DAOKO x Yonezu Kenshi – Uchiage Hanabi

2. Download Songs #1: LiSA – ASH

_________

Which one do you like the most?

Oricon #1: Sexy Zone – Gyutto
Billboard Hot 100 #1: Morning Musume. ’17
Streaming Songs #1: DAOKO x Yonezu Kenshi – Uchiage Hanabi
Download Songs #1: LiSA – ASH

Survey maker

Comments