#1 Song Review: Week of 10/16 – 10/22 (TWICE v. DAOKO x Yonezu Kenshi v. Aimer)

Hello, Arama! Japan readers and welcome to this week’s installment of #1 Song Review! Last week saw Aimer defeat Nogizaka46 and DAOKO x Yonezu Kenshi. Aimer and DAOKO x Yonezu Kenshi are back again this week, facing off against a newcomer. Find out what various staff members thought of the songs that topped the singles charts this week and share your thoughts on them too!

Oricon #1 / Billboard Hot 100 #1: TWICE – One More Time (Streaming Songs #3 / Download Songs #8)

Ronald: It’s like a more listenable version of one of AKB48’s cute songs, but less cute. But then also cuter than most of the stuff E-girls does. Strikingly juvenile. Parts of this song strangely remind me of a high school pep rally. I actually like “TT” because it sounds like a freestyle song almost, but the rest of what I’ve heard from them has been quite lacking. Easily digestable and not at all memorable. 4/10

Streaming Songs #1: DAOKO x Yonezu Kenshi – Uchiage Hanabi (Oricon #69 / Billboard Hot 100 #5 / Download Songs #9)

Ronald: Same as before: This is basiacally a Yonezu Kenshi song featuring DAOKO. I have my problems with Kenshi, and they’re evident in this song. While listening to this, all I can think of is a rehash of a The Chainsmokers song. But I will say that DAOKO’s voice has improved. I listened to one of her albums a few years ago and I had to stop it a few songs in because her voice literally gave me a headache and made me want to vomit. I don’t have that issue now! However, I’m a bit lost as to what her point is. She was a rapper, and now she’s trying to be a popstar? I don’t get it… 5.5/10

Download Songs #1: Aimer – Hana to Uta (Oricon #9 / Billboard Hot 100 #7 / Streaming Songs #8)

Ronald: Same review as before: This is really dramatic! Aimer has an interesting voice. It’s strong, yet ethereal. The tone and the way her voice quivers is quite unique. The actual track complements Aimer’s vocals well due to it also being strong and ethereal. 7.5/10

Ronald’s Rank:

1. Download Songs #1: Aimer – Hana to Uta

2. Streaming Songs #1: DAOKO x Yonezu Kenshi – Uchiage Hanabi

3. Oricon #1 / Billboard Hot 100 #1: TWICE – One More Time

Which one do you like the most?

Oricon #1 / Billboard Hot 100 #1: TWICE – One More Time
Streaming Songs #1: DAOKO x Yonezu Kenshi – Uchiage Hanabi
Download Songs #1: Aimer – Hana to Uta

over here

• Comments

• AkaneHaga

for the 1st time i agree w/ this review

• kupling

still a hate and biased review

• Totokoko

How?

• MomoHirai

When I say Ronald wrote this article and a Twice song review I was expecting a 3 or less. I am not surprised though. Wouldn’t it be better for their to be certain reviewers for certain types of songs? It would sound stupid to make someone whose interested and biased towards death metal to review a AKB48 song. That is just me though. These reviews don’t get tons of attention so they are harmless. Just thought about throwing out an idea.

• That defeats the whole purpose. We’re not going to get people to review certain songs just because they like the genre.

• MomoHirai

Well it kind of does. It gives perspective. If you happen to like Pop then a Rock lover giving every song you like 1’s wont really represent the truth. If you give pop lovers the opportunity to judge Pop songs it’d be different. Its like making a person who only likes FPS review JPORG’s or MOBA’s. It would make no sense. That’s just me though.

• jiji

People who like TWICE and their ilk have already demonstrated that their taste in music is severely impaired, so their reviews are going to be just as biased. Any old piece of crap is going to be described in glowing terms with high scores. The only good thing that can be said about One More Time is that is nowhere near as horrendous as LIKEY.

• MomoHirai

Yeah not wasting my time replying to that soooo. Don’t waste your breath.

• kimkimkimkim3

Sounds like you’re just mad that someone didn’t give your baby bop twice pedo song a glowing 10/10. In that case ask your friends on Onehallyu to review it for you.

• MomoHirai

You are late as fuck. Don’t reply to me again if you are going to wait 13 days to reply. Thnx

• srqs srqs

I’m always looking forward to read “hate” and “biased” reviews and comments by butthurt fans every week. I’m happy I get what I want sometimes.

• zodd

That much of a pathetic life huh? Just end it already hun.

• srqs srqs

Yeah, my life is so pathetic that caring people like you are concerned about me. I hope you’re genuinely concerned.

• ala

Not trying to start shit as I’m not a huge fan of any of these artists, just genuinely curious–why do these posts always say “see what various staff thought” about the songs, when it’s literally only Ronald reviewing week after week? I think it would be nice to have more than one person reviewing just to get some differing opinions.

• Pingback: #1 Song Review: Week of 10/23 – 10/29 (Keyakizaka46 v. Ed Sheeran) | ARAMA! JAPAN()